Ask about Alive Juice Bar’s tutoring services. Free or pay what you can. Our tutors have degrees from US News top 10 universities. We cover most subjects, from AP Physics to SAT prep to college admissions essays.
Let’s move on to final three questions of the LSAT logic set. The conditions and questions:
An athlete has six trophies to place on an empty three-shelf display case. The six trophies are bowling trophies F, G, and H and tennis trophies J, K, and L. The three shelves of the display case are labelled 1 to 3 from top to bottom. Any of the shelves can remain empty. The athlete’s placement of trophies must conform to the following conditions:
- J and L cannot be on the same shelf
- F must be on the shelf immediately above the shelf that L is on.
- No single shelf can hold all three bowling trophies
- K cannot be on Shelf 2
If J is on shelf 2, which of the following must also be on Shelf 2?
(Conditions are italicized) Again, write out what each letter stands for, like this:
Bowling: F, G, H
Tennis: J, K, L
Since L and J can’t be on the same shelf and L can’t be on the first shelf because F must be on the shelf immediately above the shelf that L is on. So now we have:
- J F
The answer is 3. F
Logic problems are easy once you have everything organized.
If Shelf 1 remains empty, which of the following must be FALSE?
1. H and F are on the same shelf
2. There are exactly three trophies on Shelf 2
3. G and H are on the same shelf
4. There are exactly two trophies on Shelf 3
5. G and K are on the same shelf
Which means K must be on the third shelf because K cannot be on shelf 2. L must be on shelf 1 and F on shelf 2 because F must be above L. J is on shelf 2 because L and J can’t be on same shelf. Write it out, like this:
- F, J
- L, K
Let’s go over the possible answers.
1. H and F are on the same shelf (This is possible)
2. There are exactly three trophies on Shelf 2 (This is possible, G and H can each go on either shelves)
3. G and H are on the same shelf (This is possible, they can both be on Shelf 3)
4. There are exactly two trophies on Shelf 3 (False because if there are two trophies on Shelf 3, then G and H must be on Shelf 2 and that’s impossible because 3 bowling trophies can’t be on same shelf)
5. G and K are on the same shelf (This is possible)
If L and G are on the same shelf, and if one of the shelves remains empty, which of the following must be true?
1. If H is on Shelf 3, then J is on Shelf 2.
2. K and L are on the same shelf.
3. If H is on Shelf 2, then J is on Shelf 3.
4. F and K are on the same shelf.
5. If J is on Shelf 2, then H is on Shelf 1.
Since F must be placed above L, L and G can only be on Shelves 1 or 2. The only shelves that can be empty are 1 and 3.
- F ? ?
- L G
- ? ? ?
- ? ? ?
- F ? ?
- L G
Now let’s at each condition:
1. If H is on Shelf 3, then J is on Shelf 2. (This must be true because if H is on Shelf 3, then Shelf 1 must be empty. And since J and L can’t be on the same shelf, J must be on Shelf 2)
2. K and L are on the same shelf. (If L is on shelf 2 and the Shelf 3 is empty, then K and L can’t be on same shelf)
3. If H is on Shelf 2, then J is on Shelf 3. (You can still have F H J on Shelf 2 if Shelf 1 is empty)
4. F and K are on the same shelf. (If Shelf 1 is empty, then F and K can’t be on same Shelf because K can’t be on Shelf 2)
5. If J is on Shelf 2, then H is on Shelf 1. (If J is on Shelf 2, H can be either on Shelf 1 or 3)
Draw it out and it’s not that difficult.
College Admissions Essay, University of Chicago prompt, Part III
Here’s the prompt again:
Joan of Arkansas. Queen Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Babe Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Mash up a historical figure with a new time period, environment, location, or occupation, and tell us their story.
—Inspired by Drew Donaldson, AB’16
Here’s what we have thus far:
The Soong sisters grew up in early 20th century Shanghai. The eldest, Soong Ai-ling, is known for her love of money, married the wealthiest man in China. The youngest, Soong Mei-ling, is known for her love of power, married the leader of the KMT, the man who would become president of the Republic of China. The middle sister, Soong Ching-ling, is remembered for her love of her country and she married revolutionary leader Sun Yat-Sen, the founder of modern China, against her family’s wishes. Soong Ching-ling eventually broke with her family and joined the Communist Party, remaining in mainland China as her family fled to Taiwan to set up provisional government, aka Republic of China, at the conclusion of the civil war. She died as one of the most revered political figures in the history of China.
So I’ve taken Soong out of China and into the animated world of Ratatouille, where she is Soong Ching Linguini, daughter of Alfredo Linguini and his mistress Valentina Ching (not from movie, I made her up), daughter of an Italian seamstress and a Chinese textile manufacturer.
Then I wrote what I know about Alfredo Linguini and Valentina Ching:
Alfredo Linguini is a bumbling and sometimes kindhearted cook who, with the help of his rat friend named Remy, rises to become owner and chef of a prominent restaurant. Alfredo’s real superpower is his ability to skate so in the end, he becomes a waiter on skates at the restaurant he and his wife Colette own, while his wife and pet rat, Remy, are the chefs. It was at his restaurant that he met the captivating Valentina Ching, a fashion designer and daughter of an Italian seamstress and a Chinese textile manufacturer. Alfredo meets Valentina at her boutique and there they begin an affair that produces Soong Ching Linguini, a celebrated chef renown for her linguini alfredo.
I’m ready to write the essay. Here it goes:
Soong Ching Linguini, daughter of renown restaurateur Alfredo Linguini and his mistress Valentina Ching, loves Italian food. Unlike her half sisters, the elder Amalea Linguini who loves money so she married the owner of Olive Garden, and the younger Maria Linguini who loves power so she married the owner of Buca Di Beppo, Soong apprenticed with and married a chef known for his linguini alfredo. After he died, she took over his restaurant and was determined to improve on his linguini alfredo recipe. She searched for better ingredients, better ways to make linguini and the alfredo sauce.
I’ll finish this tomorrow.